10-Day Southern Tracks
From coastal bliss to Alpine majesty
Christchurch > Blenheim > Nelson > Westport > Greymouth
Get a fantastic introduction to New Zealand’s Top of the South. This 10-day itinerary showcases the South Island’s beloved landscapes and captures the essence of the region. It seamlessly blends the comfort of legendary rail journeys with the flexibility of driving, connecting travellers with locals from farmers to winemakers.
- Coastal Pacific Train ride: set off from Christchurch heading to Blenheim (Marlborough) as your journey is dotted by stunning coastlines, vast plains, mountain ranges, and remote beaches.
- Marlborough wine region: a leisure day in Marlborough means getting to explore the wine and food culture of the region—go on a self-guided biking tour around the vineyards (or a wine tasting tour, there are many being offered in the different wineries)
- Nelson: spend your free day in the city known for its year-round sunshine hopping on a mountain bike at Dun Mountain and Codgers, dining al fresco at the city’s waterfront, or exploring the wilderness reserve that is Abel Tasman National Park. See its golden beaches, cliffs, and native wildlife like little blue penguins and fur seals.
- TranzAlpine train journey: after driving to Greymouth, board the TranzAlpine train back to Christchurch; the 223km rail journey shows off the country’s Southern Alps, known for its long stretch of mountain range.
- 9 nights of superior accommodation (3.5/4 star hotels)
- Coastal Pacific Great Train Journey from Christchurch to Blenheim (Marlborough)
- Leisure time to explore Marlborough wine region
- 6 days car hire from Blenheim to Greymouth
- Leisure time in Nelson, gateway to Abel Tasman National Park
- TranzAlpine Great Train Journey from Greymouth to Christchurch
Terms and Conditions
Pricing featured is based on 2 adults sharing and priced as per person in Australian Dollars. Pricing is correct at the time of submission but is subject to change without notice.
Valid for travel from 01 Oct 2023 to 31 Mar 2024 and valid for sale until 31 Dec 2023 unless sold out prior. Due to Great Train Journeys schedules, this package must start on a Wed, Thu, Fri or Sat in Christchurch. Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates apply including special events and holiday periods.
Superior accommodation will be advised at time of quoting and will be confirmed at time of booking.
Car hire with Europcar is based on a Suzuki S Cross Auto with Day 2 pick up at 1pm from Blenheim Airport and drop off at Greymouth on Day 8 by 1pm. Europcar rental conditions and excess policy applies.