For travellers short on time, this 7-day itinerary from Auckland to Christchurch shows off spectacular sceneries while you you experience all three of New Zealand’s Great Train Journeys. You’ll get to step aboard the historic Northern Explorer on an epic 646km journey through the heart of New Zealand’s North Island. After arriving and spending a free day at Wellington, cruise the Cook Strait to Picton. Get to traverse the rugged coastline on the Coastal Pacific before completing your Rail Experience with a return voyage onboard the iconic TranzAlpine, which travels through the mountains that divide New Zealand’s South Island.
• Northern Explorer train journey: start off at the cosmopolitan city of Auckland, pass through scenic plains of volcanic plateaus, cling to cliffs, soar high over rivers and gorges, and journey between a national park and Middle Earth (for Lord of the Rings fans) before arriving in the capital of Wellington.
• Free day to explore Wellington: discover New Zealand wildlife at Zealandia, go on a LOTR tour and Weta Workshop filming location, have a picnic at and swim at Oriental Bay beachfront, explore the food scene at Hannahs Laneway, and more.
• Coastal Pacific train ride: set off from the lovely port town of Picton, take in views of the country’s many vineyards, go through tunnels clustered in the cliffs of Kaikoura’s vast plains, spot New Zealand fur seals sunning themselves, see magnificent mountain ranges and the best surf beaches.
• Christchurch: go on a self-guided tour around Gothic Revival buildings at the Arts Centre, stroll along the beautiful riverside Botanic Gardens, go on a chairlift ride at Christchurch Adventure Park, or take the 862-metre cable car ride up Mt. Cavendish for spectacular views of Canterbury
• TranzAlpine rail ride: ascend the heights of the Southern Alps, meander through the Canterbury plains and the lush valleys, weave through cliff-lined ravines, and fly over towering viaducts for spectacular sceneries.
Pricing featured is based on 2 adults sharing and priced as per person in Australian Dollars. Pricing is correct at the time of submission but is subject to change without notice.
Valid for travel from 01 Oct 2023 to 31 Mar 2024 and valid for sale until 31 Dec 2023 unless sold out prior. Due to Great Train Journeys schedules, this package must start on a Wednesday in Auckland. Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates apply including special events and holiday periods.
Accommodation will be confirmed at time of booking. No transfers or sightseeing included but can be quoted for additional. Scenic Plus may be available for an additional cost on the TranzAlpine train only.
While online booking websites may tempt you with cost savings, It's crucial to be mindful of th
Turkey is one of those fascinating countries that when you finally visit and see for yourself,